Building a curved garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a 6ft high curved garden wall and was hoping someone would give me advice on how to go about it? Its the sort of wall you see on the garden design programmes - contemporary and minimalist. All help is greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
for starters it will all have to be built using the level, so very time consuming. less severe curves can be formed with streacher bond, tighter more severe curves may require header bond. if youre going 1.8m plus, then 225mm brickwork may be needed, its stability will depend largely upon how curvey you make it.

also, for a wall of that height, some beefy foundations will be needed. dig down to good virgin ground, min 600mm, and lay minimum of 200mm thick concrete. its sometimes cheaper and less hassle to mass fill anyway.

binding said:
I want to build a 6ft high curved garden wall and was hoping someone would give me advice on how to go about it? Its the sort of wall you see on the garden design programmes - contemporary and minimalist. All help is greatly appreciated!!

If you want a cntemporary and minimalist wall ,what about constructing it out of concrete :)

Sponsored Links
Noseall has an obsession with 600mm foundations, 450mm for a simple brick wall should be more than adequate. Course if your curve is tight then widen the footing to allow the wall to sit centrally around the curve.

Thanks for the advice given so far... am a complete novice!

We were thinking or using blocks rather than bricks. Is there any reason why we shouldn't do that? We're going to render it afterwards.

Harder to form the curved shape and less weather resistant. Also needs more movement joints. Oh how long is this wall going to be?

static, the 600mm i was referring to was a minimum depth at which to dig and not footing width. most b.c.'s round staffs like to see a 100-150mm projection of concrete beyond the brickwork, so yes i agree, footing WIDTH should be 400-450mm.

Hi Binding, How did this one pan out? I am planning pretty much the same thing. I mantioned it in passing to the structural engineer I had for something else and he said I needed 150mm wide footing. No idea what depth though. He did say to use foundation or party wall blocks though. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back