Building a dormer window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering whether you guys could tell me if I would be crazy to try to build a rear dormer by myself or with as little help as possible from a builder I have used on previous projects.

To give you guys an idea of where my DIY level is at, I have never made a dormer before but have renovated a couple of properties and done a lot of the work myself such as building stud walls, removing and fitting a staircase (with the builder) and plasterboarding and plastering a staircase with two turns (and building a metal frame to take the plasterboard - alone). I've also made a few bits of furniture (tables, shelves, racks, a mirror ...).

I have never made a dormer before and so would like to have your opinion on whether its possible for a competent DIYer to make one. Personally I don't think it is something that I couldn't achieve but I was just wondering whether you guys think that its actually way harder than it might appear.

Thanks a bunch for your advice and please be kind with your comments! ;)

Sponsored Links
with a bit of planning i dont see why not.
you will deffo need someone to help you even better two.
once you have worked out your plan of attack, and before you have opened the roof up make sure you have everything to get the dormer erected as quick as possible.
cut all your timber to size, have your plywood at the ready,felt, lead, window, all before you open the roof.
keep an eye on the weather forecast and start early as poss.
brush up on your window fitting skills, leadwork and flatroofing.
your priority is to get the structure up and watertight asap.
and keep a big tarpaulin handy just in case.

good luck
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back