Dormer on a partial loft conversion - How much & which trade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago, I fully refurbished my house. During that time, whilst ceilings were down, the builder replaced the joists in the attic in preparation for a future loft conversion. Plumbing and electrics were also brought up and a staircase was also fitted.

All of the above was done to meet current regulations and the building inspector who was inspecting the other renovation work going on, was satisfied with everything that we'd done.

I'd now like to add a dormer window, so that I can slowly start to finish it off as a proper additional bedroom. I want to get an idea of how much the dormer will cost and find someone who can do it. My first thought was to go to a loft conversion company, but the one company I did ask, gave a ridiculous quote, that didn't seem to account for the work that had already been completed. I only want a dormer added - nothing more. Everything else (electrics, plumbing, plastering, etc) would be for a future date and some DIY projects.

Which trade should I be looking for to complete this type of work?

Also, if anyone reading this does that kind of work, what sort of price would be reasonable?

To give an idea of the property, it's a small cottage from around 1860 with slate roof. It's about 4.5m wide and about 7m front to back, so not very big. I'd want the dormer to be as wide as permissible.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a set of drawings to show what needs to be done? I think you'll struggle to get someone without them as they won't know exactly what does and doesn't need to be done. A general builder who can manage the different trades would be suitable. You'll still need a carpenter, roofer, window fitter etc, your post is too vague to give any kind of price guide.

Unless planned for during the earlier work, a dormer may require additional support - at the "front" - near the eaves, and at the "back" - the ridge - usually in the form of steel beams. Possibly a bit more than just plonking a dormer on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back