Building a flat roof for a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built the walls of my garage - its done in single skin 7N concrete block and is 4.1 meters long by 3.1 meters wide (couldn't make it any bigger). Its detached from the house, i.e. free standing.

I am now planning the roof and have never done one before.

I am going to span the roof joists width ways, i.e. 3.1 meters (plus overhang on each side for fascia boards). I am trying to work out what size joists i need.

The other thing is trying to decide the best way to secure them. Whats the most typical way of securing the joists? Hangers straight onto the top course or block? A wall plate all the way round then fix to that using straps?

I've tried google but cant find a definitive answer.

I am going to set the joists level and use firings from left to right to create the required fall.

Sponsored Links
There are tables you can find somewhere with the standard joist sizes / spans for different grades of timber.

I'm not sure what you need to Google for, maybe something like "BRE timber span table"?

That's a handy link because, of course, the latest editions don't have them - TRADA want you to buy them instead!
(I've still got my tatty 1992 edition solely for the tables).

Sponsored Links
What's the best way to secure the joists to the wall plate? Will a 90 degree angled bracket on either side of the joist at both ends be adequate? Is there any reason why the joists can't be secured directly to the top course of blocks? Not sure what the purpose of the wall plate is.

Thanks again

The reason for a wall plate is to help attach your roof to your masonry using wall plate straps 3' long should be ample and to secure your joists just skew nail either side of joists with 4" nails.

Fix wall plate using 3' restraint straps. 2nd pic in diagram below gives an example

HES-diagram.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back