Building a garage advice on which materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building a 8 m x 5.5 m garage double skinned and I am looking for some advice on the types of blocks to use. The garage is going to be split into a workshop area with a partition and then a double garage.

The workshop area i intend to dig out a basement and I had heard that if you were going to use blocks below ground (which will be the basement walls) I need to use a particular type of block.

Do i have to use a thermalite block for the internal wall or would it just be ok to use the same type of block for inside and out.

Hope you can help

Thanks
Craig

Sponsored Links
As it's over 30m² you'll need BC approval.
Ether by starting it on a Building Notice, in which case you need to know what you're doing 'cos the work will be inspected after each applicable stage.
Or by submitting plans for BC approval, which means that BC approve the methods to be used, prior to commencement and inspect at each stage.

I wouldn't use thermalite blocks for the internal walls of a garage/workshop 'cos they don't have the same strength as hollow concrete blocks and insulation is not so important, but others might disagree.

You'll need dense concrete blocks below ground level but you could use a trench block, which surprisingly are similar to thermalite blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back