Thermalite in Gable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am having a double garage built.

Due to adjacent boundaries it is necessary to have cavity walls on two sides. the other two sides will be solid concrete.

To reduce costs I intend to use Thermalite, double size, blocks in the gables, or 100 mm solid concrete blocks and render them. However, Thermalite is porous, so any advice or alternative suggestions is very much welcomed.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes. After I made my post I realised my error.

What I meant is that I think thermalite blocks, if they can be rendered, require different rendering techniques than thermalite. But be lighter in the gable, and cheaper. Please let me know can thermalite be rendered ?.

They can, but are a pain to do and have a significant risk of early render failure and maintenance issues.

You can get 3N concrete blocks as light as thermalite and much better to use.

Sponsored Links
You can get 3N concrete blocks as light as thermalite and much better to use.
You can get 7n Fibolites almost a light as 3n's and have a tighter finish - so less unwanted suction. (not cheap though but worth every penny).

Splendid. Many thanks for your recommendations. I will look at those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back