Joining Thermalite to Brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
Is a wall starter the best option for this?

I've knocked down the strange angled (think parallelogram) side wall on my kitchen extension(brick/block) and I'm replacing it with a (square) thermalite wall.
At one end a wall starter seems the only option but at the other end I think I could cut the blocks to tooth in to my 9inch original solid wall.
Didn't ask the BCO when he was here as it was going to be done by a bricklayer.
Let down by 2 brickies this week (one genuinely injured..the other....?).
I may start doing it myself (10ft x 10ft). Dense concrete block up to damp course already done.
I've posted some pics in my album(head 90 degrees left for second and third pics ). The thermalite is just sitting there dry as I attempt to work it out.
Your advice would be appreciated by this novice in the bricklaying world.

Sponsored Links
Walkbar,

There are some red flags in your pics. I'm surprised that BCO has allowed work to proceed.

I dont enjoy saying this because i'm all for DIY'ers cracking on (the blockwork is well laid indeed) - but you really need a builder on site, for at least a paid view, and a bit of advice.

Thanks Dann, it's all being done under BCO supervision. Basically, the edge of the floorboards marks the original wall( :eek: ) and the blockwork is the new position.
The pebbldashed corner nearest in the first pic has a wall starter on it.
My biggest concern is joining the blocks to the red brickwork at the squared off end.
As you can see there are 3 brick course gaps (only 2 line up) and I wondered if I could shape the blocks to tooth(?) in with those. If that's against regs, I could attach a wall plate to that end as well.
To this layman, wall ties don't seem that strong.
Thanks for replying. :)
Could you point out the red flags?

P.S. The original Brickie's brother laid it to damp course after his injury but he's not available....still looking.

I understand what you tell me, but, i'm afraid, that i can only repeat my above suggestion to get someone in to give a considered view of your proposition and the work so far.

Perhaps others on here will take you forward.

Sponsored Links
OK..Wall starter it is, thanks.

Dann. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

This is a single story extension having a 'crooked' wall replaced by a straight one.

Building control have supervised it from the beginning.

Footings, pouring, blocks to damp course.....then said OK to build wall.

Those red flags you spotted would be nice to know though. :confused:

LATEST: Got through to BCO officer...OK to bond the brick and block. No problem to shape the blocks. Wall starter the other end.
beginning to wonder how many different opinions you get from Building Control? :confused:
Oh well....

Those red flags you spotted would be nice to know though.
Probably being picky but the lack of brick showing below dpc and the cavity looks a bit narrow.

Not sure how you can see that there but you're right...the patio is a bit higher than it should be. It's next on the list so I'll take it down when I redo it.
Cavity 75mm requested by BCO between lightweight blocks (100mm for anything else).
Was gonna use heavier blocks on the outside but 'Superbrickie' (the one who went awol) said he'd do it in a day with the light weights. :rolleyes:

Trowlerman.... there was an airbrick but only in the outside leaf for some reason. That's not right is it?
Airbricks at the back and further down the side. I'll have to sort it if it's unacceptable.
Thanks for the answers chaps. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back