Fittings for thermalite blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure if this post was better in the carpentry section as really it's about hanging some shelving... but the problem is with the block work rather than the wood. I've not yet attempted to fix shelfving to the wall, but it's pretty substantial bomb-proof homemade affair. Vertical pieces 3"x3" then horizontal strut 3"x2" and the rest is yet to be built. I was going to fix it to thermalite blocks with sheild anchors but having read up, this might cause a lot problems and I'll end up with a crushed car? The shelving itself it pretty heavy even before it's loaded - that's the intent! The vertical pieces are to rest on the floor to take up some of the load but primarily they're to be wall mounted rather than free standing.

View media item 64987
Here's a photos I took early on in the project, showing generally the layout and size.

Now I do have an option to mount it on the other side of the garage in a brick wall rather than thermalite, but the shape of the garage means that's not the best position for them.

Sheild anchors in thermalite blocks okay? (I have read it's best to drill the hole with a HSS drill rather than masonry bit. Do I need to faff about with removing dust and injecting resins? Or just do a quick re-design and mount it on the brick wall instead?

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Nails!!! I don't think they even come big enough for the wood I have/am using.. For now, I've decided to put it up against the brick wall instead and used shield anchors, I'm still concerned they'll pull out of the wall or crack the bricks. Does this happen? How can I guage what is a sensible load for each anchor?

Nozzle

Well 8mm anchors will hold up timber first floors, so a shelf should not be an issue

Sponsored Links
Google rigifix, they are brilliant for thermalite blocks and tv brackets etc
You will probably have to buy some longer bolts to fit with the thickness of your timbers but they should be readily available.
They are not cheap but are great for drylined thermalite walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back