Shed/Outbuilding options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a double garage at the rear of my property and I'm looking to attach a new "Shed" to the back of it. I've already laid a 4x3m 9 inch concrete slab with DPM but I'm undecided on how to proceed.

My choices have boiled down to the following and I'm keen to hear peoples opinions.

1. Timber Frame with PIR insulation in the floor, walls and roof. Wrapped with a breather membrane then Feather Edge cladding externally. I'm unsure whether securing a timber soleplate directly to a concrete slab is advisable. Could I just wrap the DPM up over the slab and then DPC before securing the soleplate ?
  2. Half brick dwarf wall of 4 of 5 courses of matching brick , then DPC on the brick and then secure the soleplate to the brick ? I'm worried that that those 4 or five courses of half brick wall would be cold and or damp ? Can I mitigate that ?
  3. Build the entire structure from Thermalite block, wrap externally with breather and then secure featheredge externally. Frame internally for plasterboard finish. Not sure if wrapping Thermalite with a breather is enough ? How would Thermalite compare to approx 80mm PIR in a timber build for insulation ? I know it offers better sound proofing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
or 2 courses of brickwork, then timber frame.

dont forget 50 x 25 battens over breather membrane before cladding...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back