New Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to move house soon and if so will want to replace the old wooden garage at the property with a new one. I want the new garage to double up as a workshop and be around 1.5 x width of a standard single garage. I am hoping for some advice with regards to materials to help me work out a cost. I'd like the inner walls to be block, but a strong block that can take heavy shelves and brackets etc rather than the plaster type. Is concrete the best / cheapest option ? I then want an insulated cavity and probably block or brick outer walls. The house brick is a dark red rough surface 1960's brick which I think is still available. What would normally work out cheapest, brick or block and pebbledash both taking materials and labour into account ? Are there any other options ? Also the outer side of one wall will be in accessible once built due next doors garage so could not be rendered. Is there any solution here ? Will bare blocks soak moisture through ? I wouldn't want to sacrifice the quality of build in the name of economy but funds will be limited on this one as the wife wants a kitchen. If I get this property the garage is the first job so any advice will be very gladly recieved.

Sponsored Links
andyd said:
What would normally work out cheapest, brick or block and pebbledash both taking materials and labour into account ? Are there any other options ? Also the outer side of one wall will be in accessible once built due next doors garage so could not be rendered. Is there any solution here ?
The cheapest would be pre-cast slab section garage and cheaper if you install it yourself but a lot of people don't like the appearance of them, they are some nice modern one now. If you don't like the roofing sheet, you could fit light weight tiles such as slate tiles or roof tiles effect roofing sheet.

I have use a pre-cast slab for my summerhouse because it was cheaper to do it this way, then use the tile effect roof sheeting with log cladding on the side. Also I got the slab half price as seconds which wouldn't be seen on the outside.

The beauty of pre-cast slab is you only need a 6" concrete base where the slab resting on and 4" in the middle floor area.

I've been looking into having a Garage built. I first looked into a pre cast concrete sectional garage, 20" X 11" worked out at £2500 with a window and side door etc. Then you have to have your base which would be at least £500.
I've decided to go for a proper brick built detached garage 20"X11", Single Brick same as my house,Apex Roof, Window in, Side Door, Electrics etc for £7650.

Is this labour & materials ? If so, sounds very reasonable price. Also make sure you keep within the building regulation.

Sponsored Links
Thats Labour and Materials, The builder said that is the price I'll pay - He won't start asking for any more for this n that etc.
He said £7650, I've decided to sort my own door out, so he said knock £350 of the price, so £7300 without the door.
I've put my plans in, Just waiting for a decision - Should be OK though. I'll need building regs, So I'll apply for them a few days before the builder starts.
I only had one price, I asked a few builders, but they all seemed too busy etc. It seemed a problem for them to give me a price -lol
The builder who's going to build it lives near my Mother so any problems i should be OK. He said he can start it a few weeks after my plans are passed, with it only being a small job.

Very cheap price that Aletank. Could be adviseable to check out some of his other work discreetly or otherwise, me think, or seven and a half grand is by no means cheap for a hames of a job... same applies to if it were gonna cost seventeen grand dont employ anyone who is reluctant for you to see their previous jobs, there is obviously a reason why.
Brick or block would work out much of a muchness considering a plasterer needs to come in after it is up . Work out what quantity of material you need on the provisio of 10 blocks per sq mtr regular concrete clinkers and 56 brick per sq mtr, cheapest option something like a red rustic, try and build using red sand as the yellow sand joints are garishly light. Prices i can only guess at for labour as I am not in England £1 per block £350/£400 per thousand brick, though for a garage it would probably be just a set quote. Flat black concrete tiles are the cheapest option followed by fibre cement slates (eternits) anything other like natural slate or clay plane tiles you will pay a premium for , beautifull if you have the cash to splash but my guess is the mrs will have the lions share, just as they all do :cry:

The builder built a side garden wall, quite big, across the road from my Mothers about 12 months back. Looks a good job, the guys whos house it is, is more than pleased with it and his work. Cleaned up each night etc too. As i say he lives local and he seems a decent fella to talk to etc

Thanks for the advice guys. I did consider a concrete slab Masona but I really wanted something with an insulated cavity as I want to use it as a workshop so I don't want everything rusting. I suppose I could baton out the inside and then insulate and dry line with ply or something but as I'm not planning on ever moving again if we get this house I think I might splash out on brick outer and block inner. I told the Mrs we could get 20 grands worth of kitchen and she still couldn't cook. Better make that garage warm enough to sleep in !

Don't they have these huge blocks with a cavity within them?

Would that also be an option, cheaper than a traditional cavity wall seeing as only a 'single' wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back