Building a Garage, some advice on footings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been looking to build a garage on a big chunk of land next to my house which was dug up and levelled a few years back. First time i have done it so want to get it right.

Here are some pics of the plot, its going in the corner where the shed is with the rear facing the railway sleepers.

garden3.jpg

garden2.jpg

garden1.jpg

Its going to be within the requirements for Wales for building an additional structure on my plot i.e a garage, so dont need planning or building regs as its going to be within a certain size.

I need information on laying the footings for a single storey, single skin block garage. Am i right in saying i dig out the footings (trench) for the walls, how deep and wide should i do these. The ground is very firm with allot of rock so wanted to know what the minimum depth i should dig and how wide.

If someone could give advice on how to do the footings properly that would be great :)

Then once i have done that i was planning on digging the garage floor out 200mm, putting in wire mesh, then concrete on top to form the slab, will put in the DPM at this point also.

Am i going on the right track here, if i have missed anything out let me know, dont want to cock this up! So far learned it all from youtube lol.

Craig

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back