Building a Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking into my options for building a new garage to replace a rotten timber garage. I would like to build it out of blocks myself and i have a few questions while I weigh up my options.

The garage is to be 5.2mx3.2m and 2.5m high to the eaves and single leaf to give more internal space. The roof will probably be lightweight using homemade trusses and pvc corrugated sheets. I will get the outside pebbledashed the same as the house.

1) Are dense concrete blocks suitable for this (ie frost attack, weight etc)?

2) Would the walls be damp proof from the rain etc or will it require lining or tanking on the inside?

3) Would it require piers and if so how many/where?

4) Should it have a dpc in the wall?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Pippo

Sponsored Links
1) Are dense concrete blocks suitable for this (ie frost attack, weight etc)?
Dense 7n conkers will be fine.

2) Would the walls be damp proof from the rain etc or will it require lining or tanking on the inside?
If you intend rendering this structure then driven rain will not be a problem. If not, just make sure the pointing is good and give it a yearly coat of Thomson's water seal.

3) Would it require piers and if so how many/where?
One 450 x225mm pier mid span.

) Should it have a dpc in the wall?
Yes. The dpc should be set at 150mm above external floor level

p.s. what do you mean by home made trusses?

Sponsored Links
The blocks look ok.

The footings should be 300mm wider than the wall, i.e. 150mm projection each side. so a 100mm wide wall will require 400mm wide footings. These should be laid on good virgin substrate. Building control suggest a minimum of 1m below ground level., though this is a guideline. If the soil is still not firm virgin ground then go deeper.

Actually, I could do with a pair of those at the mo! As it is, I've got two pairs of grollies on and a bag of frozen peas sandwiched between them...!

The blocks look ok.

The footings should be 300mm wider than the wall, i.e. 150mm projection each side. so a 100mm wide wall will require 400mm wide footings. These should be laid on good virgin substrate. Building control suggest a minimum of 1m below ground level., though this is a guideline. If the soil is still not firm virgin ground then go deeper.

Thats great, thanks noseall. So if the soil is good at 1m would it be trench fill to ground level or is it partial fill to a certain level below ground with blocks on top?

Pippo

If you're in sands, 600-750 depth of footing will be more than adequate.

Thats great, thanks noseall. So if the soil is good at 1m would it be trench fill to ground level or is it partial fill to a certain level below ground with blocks on top?

Knock a peg in the ground at what you will assume to be dpc level, usually the same as the main dwelling. This peg is your datum. We would then allow for six courses of (metric) bricks below this datum to the top of the foundation concrete. This translates to two courses of block and measures 450mm or about 18".

Knock a peg in the ground at what you will assume to be dpc level, usually the same as the main dwelling. This peg is your datum. We would then allow for six courses of (metric) bricks below this datum to the top of the foundation concrete. This translates to two courses of block and measures 450mm or about 18".

The dpc on the house is indeed around the 150 mark above ground level. so 2 courses of blocks below this at 450 would start 300 below ground level. So I'm looking at 700mm depth 400mm wide concrete foundations.

2 more questions :)

1) Will the foundations need widened 150 each side around the piers?

2) Does the dpm from the corcrete floor that i intend to lay have to overlap the dpc ? if it does i take it i will need to have my concrete floor 150 above ground level with a ramp up which will lower my interior height. i was hoping to have the floor at ground level.

1 For strip footings you should do, for trench fill you don't need to, will it fall down if you don't - no.

2 It's a garage, you don't need a slab dpm but if you want one, then paint the inside face of the brickwork with synth or RIW, something of that ilk, from dpc level down to bottom of slab level, turn ploy dpm up on the painted dpm for the depth of the slab and that'll be more than fine.

Hi pippo,

:idea: Is this new garage going to be attached to the main dwelling. I.e. is there going to be a door leading from the garage to the house :idea:

Hi pippo,

:idea: Is this new garage going to be attached to the main dwelling. I.e. is there going to be a door leading from the garage to the house :idea:

Hi hotrod

No, its a detached garage and will be 5m from the house so it is classed as an outbuilding. I would like to build it nearer the house but I think it is then classed as an extension which will probably cause more complications.

1 For strip footings you should do, for trench fill you don't need to, will it fall down if you don't - no.

2 It's a garage, you don't need a slab dpm but if you want one, then paint the inside face of the brickwork with synth or RIW, something of that ilk, from dpc level down to bottom of slab level, turn ploy dpm up on the painted dpm for the depth of the slab and that'll be more than fine.

Superb thanks Shytalkz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back