Building a garden office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Looking for some advice with regards to building a garden office. I intend to build a 12’ by 11’ structure, with 3x2 framing, clad with cedar shingles. I will be pouring a concrete base for this, and so was wondering if 3x2 beams would be fine for floor joists. My gut instinct says that would be fine, but I would like some advice from people who know what they are doing. Also, would 3x2 be suitable for roof joists? I am thinking of having a polyroof type thing and wondered whether 3x2 covered by 18mm exterior grade ply would make a suitable base for this. Another thing is insulation, would 50mm Kingspan/Celotex provide a good level of insulation for such a building all round, or should different thicknesses be used for ceilings floors etc?
Any advice gratefully accepted and many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
mind and place felt/dpm between concrete and wood
ideally there will be an inch or two between concrete and felt like a slab or brick so any water driven underneath by the wind or floods will have little or no effect on the wood
you need a ventilated space between the builders membrane behind the outside cladding and the insulation

are you aware off the planning regulations for sheds ??

Sponsored Links
Yeah, in the process of putting application together at the moment. I live in a conservation area so have some experience of dealing with local planning types. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back