Building a home from the bottom up...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, New to the forum just bought a new place and am looking into starting the place from scratch :confused: Loooking into having laminate flooring across the house, carpets seem to be getting ruined with the young ones spilling stuff over them the whole time... does anyone have wood flooring in their house, im worried it will make the house feel to cold and not homely...?

Sponsored Links
Bottom up is the best way, although feasible building a home from the top down would involve hanging the roof from a crane and sticking the bricks up to it with instant grab adhesive, slipping the floor in last will be difficult but laminate might be easier to slide in than carpet! :D :D :D :D

If you stick to the normal way laminate is good for downstairs rooms as long as you buy good quality and chose a warmish colour , white or very light can look a bit stark and of course a very dark wood looks depressing.

Stairs though are best carpeted, laminate is difficult to do well and carpet is less slippery and if someone does come a cropper at least there is some padding there. Personally I prefer carpet in bed rooms and vinyl in bathrooms, but as always that's just my opinion it's all a matter of taste. ;)

Oh, the bedroom will be carpets for sure... nothing better then the feeling of fresh carpet on your feet, like shoeless slippers lol

i think laminate downstairs is a solid option... just no walking around in socks :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Laminate flooring made our living room feel cold and noisy/echo, we changed it for carpet and the room feels far more warm and homely. And the tv remote control doesn't sound like it's going to shatter when you drop it now. No kids here tho, maybe there's a balance like laminate with a rug or something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back