New flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am in the process of buying a new build home and seems this is the right place to get some good advice. I would like to put wood/laminate throughout the house (minus bathrooms and kitchen) and wanted something as strong as possible. Where I live now I have real wood floorboards but they are a pain as they scratch and dent very easily and was hoping to get some more durable flooring. I have been advised to look at these ranges: Amtico (it says it has 20 years guarantee), Karndean and Quickstep Uniclick.
Can anyone give some unbiased adviced on any of the above flooring or make new suggestions?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Were just about to install some Quick-Step Elegance after seeing it at my brothers house. Very happy with the way it looks, feels and wears. The v-grove coupled with the three different length planks seems to give agood authentic look.

My parents have Amtico in their hall way. Again, this looks nice and is sturdy, but expensive from what I remember.

quick step is over priced but good product. You can get other laminates as good for half the price. Also amtico is silly money. Karndean is the same as amtico but half the price. I would always go for karndean over laminate and amtico. Karndean also has good guarantee

In terms of where you get it from, always order from the net rather than from a "real" shop. We got our quickstep for ~£15sqm instead of £27sqm.

Sponsored Links
wedge69 said:
In terms of where you get it from, always order from the net rather than from a "real" shop. We got our quickstep for ~£15sqm instead of £27sqm.
Sure. But where do you go if there is a problem? Back to the net?

Hi all and thanks for your replies. Yes it's very tempting to buy from the net but as someone pointed out if something goes wrong it gets a bit tricky and also to find a reputable and professional floor layer to do the job is not easy. I went to a local shop, very friendly, and was advised the Quickstep 95 series, looks good and sturdy, and of top of all got what we think is a good quote including fitting.
Amtico does look good but to do the kitchen with Amtico it would cost the same of 3 bedrooms with quickstep so that's an easy equation for making our choice. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back