Laminate Vs Engineered Flooring

arh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to install flooring in the ground floor of my house. I did consider solid wood but have decided to go against this as it scratches and dents too easily. Also I have 2 young boys that would damage this floor very quickly.
Would I be better off sticking with Quickstep or should I consider Khars engineered?
I know that laminate is not real wood, however, it seems to be much better with kids. Is engineered wood as soft as solid wood?

Exisitng floor is mixture of concrete and floorboards.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi i'm interested in this aswell and after quickly reading the sticky it doesn't actually say what is better suited and where,
I'm just about to finish my hallway and i'm was going to buy solid wood oak flooring.
But after speaking to a friend he said he would suggest to go with a brand called Pergo as solid wood will mark/ scratch quite easily where as this stuff wouldn't...

What in genreal is the rule of thumb when it comes to choosing the type of flooring you want to use?

What in genreal is the rule of thumb when it comes to choosing the type of flooring you want to use?
1) Personal taste
2) Budget
3) Real wood, wood-engineered among them, will add value to your home - plastic melamine laminate won't (it is a copy, albeit sometimes a good copy, of wood, never the real stuff)
4) And then there are 57 other reasons why real wooden flooring will always outperform, outlast, and always looks better, than any other floor covering available.

But the I'm prejudiced ;)

Sponsored Links
So you would recommend real wood?
personally i'm not too bothered about price :rolleyes:
all i'm concerned about it that the stuff lasts and doesn't get all dog eared and scratched 5 years down the line...
If it mean spending a little more in the beginning then it' on with that..

Thanks ok real wood it is..

are there any places i should stay clear of? I mean are b&q real wood not as good as homebase... for example?

cheap offers, stay away from them. And if possible have a close look at any sample boards they might have on show.

"Random lengths x 123mm width x 18mm depth."

The random lengths of these products always makes me worry you end up with too many short lengths i.e. too many joints which can make your whole floor unstable.
Best is to check the actual randomness before you buy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back