real wood laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Real wood laminate flooring uses a very thin layer of real wood on top of a hard mdf type board, is this only a lacquered finish on top of the veneered wood or is it similar to a laminate finish? Also, is it as scratch resistant as laminate or only as good a solid wood floors? :rolleyes:

Moved as originally posted in WRONG FORUM (general diy)

Sponsored Links
Laminate just means layers of stuff. Real wood laminate means that it is probably formed of about 1mm of real wood, bound to an HDF layer (High density fibre as opposed to MDF, medium density fibre). The top finish could be anything. Personally my house has HDF laminate thru most of it, it seems to be waering OK, and it is absolutely pounded each day. I also have a full 3/4 inch thick solid wood floor laid by my good self in the conservatory. Now which is better ?

1) The solid wood floor looks better IMO but perhaps I'm biased
2) The solid wood laminate has less gaps and is a tighter fit.
3) They are both a pain to keep looking good, i.e. constant cleaning, wiping etc, and you must remove all spills immediately.
4) THe laminate could be resanded and sealed once perhaps twice.
5) The solid wood floor could be sanded and resealed 20 - 30 times.
6) The laminate was easy to lay.
7) The solid wood not so.
8) The solid wood floor is warmer.

There are probably other things I could say, but really what the gist is that it is horses for courses. Remember a solid wood floor is not so good in say a kitchen, which is exactly where mine is installed !! and most definitely is not good in a bathroom, whre I have full plastic wood look alike laminate, sounds horrid, but not that bad really.

WRT scratch resistance, all about the same, they're gonna get scratched, it's life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back