Building a motorbike garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello diynot members,

This is my first post, although I have been reading a whole bunch of things from this site over the years, but now I require some assistance/ideas.

I am in the planning stage of redoing my front garden, paving, water mains, garden wall etc and am now planning to build a small type motorbike garage.
The internal dimensions of it will be
L - 2.3m
W - 0.9m
H - 1.3m
This size will cover motorbikes from 1000cc to lower (naked and faired if you care)

There will be 3 walls 100mm, something like this:
--------
|
--------
This will leave the front open and the roof of it. Now the only idea that I have had for securing it, is a shop shutter (hopefully a better looking one than the grey metal).

Firstly, H have had a person come in, and he stated that as it covers around to cover both the top and bottom, I need a special type of shutter, which will start to raise costs. Secondly it will also raise the the height of the garage as it will need to roll up, increasing size by 12inches.

Now I cant think of any other way to secure this garage, which will be easy for day to day use. I know nothing about shutters but was hoping to get one that comes out from the floor, up over the entrance, then bend round over the roof.

What I am asking is, is there anyone with this sort of experience with the above solution? If so what is the solution for the above?
Alternatively, what is another option for securing the garage?

I do not want to increase the height for a walk in type, as it gonna be overlooked by the lounge window.
There are a few reasons for wanting to do this, mainly for insurance, and equally for securing the bike.

I look forward to your responses

Sponsored Links
Is there no future in providing a lean to roof (lagged to prevent condensation) and having a roller shutter fixed to a horizontal door head, that rolls downwards to secure? That plus a ground anchor for the bike, and an alarm maybe for the door?
John :)

Problem is with having a fixed roof, is that I am going to have to raise the height of both sides (lean to or not roof) to allow me to get inside, put stand on etc.
I plan to put in a Y-Anchor (max version) in the floor and securing it with my almax chain.

I have just come across this:
http://www.secure-a-bike.com/ani/info.pdf

The idea of having a tray with solve this problem, I have emailed them if I am able to purchase it separately. I do not like the metal look of it and it is pretty pricey. Fingers crossed!

Just for consideration, nothing else.....are there any plastic sheds with a hinged lean to roof around? Easy to open for sure, but difficult to nick a bike if its chained down - easy for getting the bike into as well. If the bike has a touring screen, any shed will need to be quite high of course.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Insurance won't see plastic/wood as a garage, needs to be bricked.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Could the shutter's roller be placed underground so that you roll it upwards to shut and lock it and roll down to open it?

Just as an idea, I saw a motorbike shed that someone was making on FB. It was basically a welded box section steel cage, with small enough gaps between the "bars" to stop anyone getting in, to be clad to look like a shed. Should keep the ungodly safely outside.

You could dig the base deeper to give you more head room with a gently sloping floor.?

Could the shutter's roller be placed underground so that you roll it upwards to shut and lock it and roll down to open it?
according to my builder, he can, but I need a special shutter that can curve, but I don't know anything about it yet.

Just as an idea, I saw a motorbike shed that someone was making on FB. It was basically a welded box section steel cage, with small enough gaps between the "bars" to stop anyone getting in, to be clad to look like a shed. Should keep the ungodly safely outside.
I was thinking of cladding and using blocks instead of pretty bricks, but cladding takes up more room once you baton etc. could you post as per link of this?

You could dig the base deeper to give you more head room with a gently sloping floor.?
Only problem is I have mains water and gas under there, and the front has been raised to accommodate this, I might be able to get it a bit of a slope but don't think it will make to much difference.

thanks for all the replies it is much appreciated! I will keep you updated with pics and info when it starts whatever I decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back