Building a shed into existing garden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need people to critique my latest project as I'm a novice and I can't find a similar project on the internet.

I'm looking to build a shed to be used as a small home gym. I plan to put the shed right up against my newly-fenced boundary and so plan to build the shed into the fence. The fence is featheredge fencing with timber posts 3ft into the ground.

I have lowered the ground by 1ft to help with head height as I'm restricted by the height of the shed due to it being on my boundary.

I'm (naively?) assuming that my shed will be structurally-sound due to the corner posts being 3ft into the ground (2ft after taking into account ground lowering). I will construct a timber roof frame which will be supported by the timber fence posts.

I'm hoping to be using the probase plastic grid shed base system which will be filled with gravel and then appropriate rubber gym matts directed on top.

I also hope to damp-proof the entire structure and potentially insulate between the aris rails.

I appreciate any tips and guidance with this!

Sponsored Links
Is the fence yours?

By digging down you may have a problem with rotting panels where they sit against the higher ground, unless you dig that away as well.

A purpose built shiplap clad shed will be easier to insulate than overlapping fence panel being used as a shed wall.

Blup

No point insulating it if you're not heating it anyway. Particularly if you're using it as a gym as it'll likely need ventilating anyway if you're exercising in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back