Building a small Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Everyone,

Thank you in advance for your help with this, I'm a bit confused!

First of all, just to say that I like this site, so much info and stuff around, good job and I hope to contribute soon.

Ok, so I would like to build a small wall in my garden. 10M long by 1m high from bricks. My confusion is about the foundations. at my property, I hit solid ground at about 1.75m. I really do not want to have to dig out 1.75m of earth over 10m. I have had the following idea and would like to get some feedback on it.

I dig down about 450mm across the 10m length. I hammerin lengths of rebar into the earth at 2m intervals long enough to dig into the clay, so make them about 2m long roughly. then using a compactor, really compact that earth down. then create a steal frame and fill with concrete. I'm thinking that it should be enough to hold it down and make it solid.

what your guys think???

imran

Sponsored Links
The re bar will have zero effect if used in that way as a mini-pile.

The tiny surface area make a point load and so pressure will just push it further in rather than help support your footing.

You have 3 options if you have your heart set on brick.

1. Use proper mini piles which for this scenario will be massively expensive for a small garden wall.

2. Dig 2 or 3 holes down to original ground and fill with concrete. Then pour a reinforced footing over the top of them so they act like underpinning. Diggin footings deeper than 1.2m is not only difficult but can be dangerous.

3. Just dig a normal footing 450mm deep but a good bit wider than normal and pour a 9 inch reinforced raft type footing.

If it was me i would go for 3. The mass of a 1m high wall is not that high so it should not crack but the whole thing may well tilt or lean in the long term depending on ground conditions.

To be honest you would be best off building with mortarless dry stacking blocks like tobermore secura light which are very easy for a diyer to build and also will tolerate a fair amount of movement.

They are not aesthetically to everyones taste. I just started one today.

//www.diynot.com/network/phoenixm/albums/

I have uploaded some pics of the wall. It is on a slight hill. the garden is 10m long and 4.5m wide. on the side you will see the old wall, i will knock this section down to the paving and use the old wall as the base/footings of the new wall. I will go with option 3 and dig down 450mm and 230mm (9") wide and reinforce them with a rebar frame

If its a retaining wall then its a different ball game as its under much more stress and i'd recommend going for a mortarless wall like the one i mentioned. These are suitable up to about 1.2m without reinforcment.

Don't use anything under the concrete you will just cause more settlement.

It may be worth moving this to the buidling forum to get a few more opinions.

Sponsored Links
Ok neo, how do I move the thread there??

I would also just like to point out that the wall will not be a retaining wall. I am assuming yhou thought this because of fence and hill at the back of the garden. The steel mesh fence will not be removed as it is what is supporting the earth fromt he train line. we will be building the wall about 3" or so into the garden. so it will not be taking any weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back