Garden wall foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A garden wall that’s only 2m long And 2m high it’s 9 inch brickwork. Butted up to side of garage with expansion joint.

I noticed the mastic had crack and the vertical joint all way up has widened To 25mm.

I dug down and the footings 500 deep but it’s only 50mm wider either side and stops dead on the end of concrete the other end the concrete doesn’t go past.

My plan is to put rebar in and widen it.

Would that spread the load?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
More likely to be caused by shrinkage of the clay in that case due to the shallow depth. Are there any trees/hedges close by?

Sponsored Links
More likely to be caused by shrinkage of the clay in that case due to the shallow depth. Are there any trees/hedges close by?
The bottom of concrete is 750 down from ground level the concrete it’s self is 500. No big trees or bushes

I was thinking as it should be at least 450 wide min concrete past edge of brick 100mm adding that with rebar dowels it would help ?
If the gap is tapered and 25mm wide at the top, the ground is moving up / down along its length. I think widening the foundation will only help reduce rotation not up and down movement.

The problem is the whole of that area of ground is moving up and down, probably due to shrinkable clay, so it'll be dictated by rain / sun and trees.

Are there any trees nearby -say within 15 metres?

If the gap is tapered and 25mm wide at the top, the ground is moving up / down along its length. I think widening the foundation will only help reduce rotation not up and down movement.

The problem is the whole of that area of ground is moving up and down, probably due to shrinkable clay, so it'll be dictated by rain / sun and trees.

Are there any trees nearby -say within 15 metres?

I'd say it does look wider since had that heavy rain then the hot weather. Theres a row of bushes about 7ft away

I'd say it does look wider since had that heavy rain then the hot weather. Theres a row of bushes about 7ft away
Yeah it def sounds like seasonal movement due to heave / shrinkage.

The only way to stop that is a much much deeper foundation.

Id leave it alone, it'll still be there in a hundred years!

There's a 6ft tall garden wall in my village -it's got a fair old lean on it, maybe 6" it's been the same for over 20 years and shows no sign of impending failure.

Yeah it def sounds like seasonal movement due to heave / shrinkage.

The only way to stop that is a much much deeper foundation.

Id leave it alone, it'll still be there in a hundred years!

There's a 6ft tall garden wall in my village -it's got a fair old lean on it, maybe 6" it's been the same for over 20 years and shows no sign of impending failure.
Your right it does feel solid and is upright up the face just dropping down one end away from the garage. Neighbour told me it was only done a year or so ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back