Do I need piers in my 10m wall? 6inch hollow blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Im looking to build a garage with a 10m long wall (2.2m max height). I was told that if I use 6inch hollows and fill them with concrete then I dont need to build piers every 3metres, is this correct? My builder friend also said something about rebar with an L shaped bend at the bottom drilled into the slab, is this nessacary? How about if I build the garage out of 9inch hollows, would this negate the need for piers and rebar?
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply woody. I might make some peers by the doorway openings. Have you got any advice on how to make some peers out of 6inch hollows? I know how to make a peer out of bricks or 4 inch blocks or a combo of the two but a bit stuck when it comes to using 6inch hollows.

You might possibly need some sort of movement joint = 10m of concrete block walling is quite long.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony. Do you mean something like a wooden post as an upright and a break in the wall. So for example 5m of wall then a post, then another 5m of wall?

If it helps I have done a 600mm by 450mm footings trench all around the perimeter.

Thanks Tony seems like a good idea. Only downside is it will let more spiders in MWHAHAHAH

Six inch blocks filled, should not need a pier at openings. Otherwise, you will need some 4" blocks and bond them in.

10m single leaf in 6" dense/filled blocks should be ok without movement joints.

Thanks Woody, thats made my life so much simpler. Would it be worth having 9inch hollows at the end of the wall and then 6inch hollows from then on. So the 9inch would act as a kind of peer? Would you also recommend having any rebar to tie the wall to the slab?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back