Building a wood lean to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to get rid of the tired gazebo and replace it with a wood lean to thats going to last but not sure how big/what size the frame would need to be as the longest run is 360cm and dont want a supporting leg the open size.

The roof I would like to be also wood. My thinking was marine ply with roofing felt over it and the under side tongue and groove.

Height against the house is 240cm
Height at edge of deck is 220cm (Is that enough fall for the roof for rain to run off?)
From open end to fence is 250cm
Length from house to edge of deck is 360cm

Any pointers and help would be great.

Thanks

blog_post_03.jpg 20160205_111710.jpg 20160205_111735.jpg 20160205_111753.jpg I

Sponsored Links
The big problem will be the wind trying to lift your open roof off. So the corner legs must be secured against lifting, likewise the roof. Marine ply is a bit OTT, OSB would do, marine ply is no stronger but about 5X more expensive. I would T&G over the joists then a thin sheet of OSB to level the surface out then a proper felt covering. This will give a "rustic" look to the underneath. It will be water proof. But the fact remains about it flying away.
Frank

Sponsored Links
The legs I am going to cement into the ground and also bolt them to the deck frame (Would need to remove some of the decking boards to do this).

Why do you feel sorry for the neighbors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back