Flat roof into a lean to roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a mid terraced house which has an extension with a flat roof which I would like to convert to a lean to roof with two roof windows approximately 150mm by 100mm.

To my knowledge the max span of a lean to roof is 2.4 metres but what I want would exceed that by a metre or so. approximate dimensions of pitch would be would be 3500mm width 938 mm height and a span of 3620 mm making it a 15 degree slope.

I've got 3 decent (i think) quotes so far but none have address the issue of the max span as i hear it can cause sagging. I was considering doing it myself until i found out about the 2.4 metre issue.

The questions i have are:

should I be concerned about the builders not addressing the 2.4 metre issue?

is 2.4 in fact the maximum span for a lean to roof? if not is it something I could do with a span of 3620 mm and would that be done in a traditional way?

If i could do it myself what would be the suggested rafter sizes?

Any info would be greatley appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There is no limit to a single slope roof's span. The rafters just larger and you might need a purlin (or two). One place to start would be to use Google, "sheds" could be a place to start as you are building half a shed roof. By the way I think you have mixed up "mm" and cm".
Frank

Hi and Thanks Frank.

Yeap i've definitely got the units of measure mixed. I've done as much research as I can on a lean to roof and i'm ok with the method without purling. guess i got some more work to do!

cheers!

Sponsored Links
As above, there is no 'maximum span of a lean-to roof', you just enlarge the rafters for a larger span.
Something like 7"x2" rafters would do for that span without a messy purlin.

Centimetres are the bane of our lives. One of the most useful things anyone ever taught me was to forget about centimetres. So many times at the end of a day cutting something short, because every tape measure I've ever bought has a big number 1 after 10mm, 2 after 20mm, etc., rather than a more sensible layout like this:

mm-tapemeasure.jpg

The pictures above are Australian. Can you actually get a tape marked in mm in the UK?

Richard

One problem is that when the UK started to go metric, we adopted the 'meter-kilogram' system, rather than the 'centimeter-gram' system ason the continent (many continental building products - such as Velux - are always detailed in cm).

So as the continental market is larger than ours, perhaps we have to have what the majority has, including tapes??

It's a bit bl00dy stupid though, doing an unconscious mental conversion from cm into mm every time. I wonder what volume of timber gets wasted across the country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back