Front Porch Lean to roof on timber posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front floor of the my door is tiled and i would like to put a open roof porch over it.It puddles whenever it rains.
I intend to attach a header plate to the house wall, and attach 4x2 timber to do the lean to roof.

My issue is how much weight is going to be on the front 2 posts.As the front of the door is tiled the 2 posts will not be secured on the ground but just held by the roof joists.Where would be the weight on the lean to roof. Is it on the posts or does the header plate takes it?

The dimension of the total area to be covered is 1.6metre wide and 1 metre deep from the house wall.

Basically a lean to roof on 2 stilts as per the picture.
The picture is of apex roof and i wish to do lean to roof as it is easier.
Thanks.

Attachments

• porch.jpg
    porch.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 346
Sponsored Links
Make the roof structure as a cantilever (ie trusses), and the posts will be largely decorative not structural

The front floor of the my door is tiled .... It puddles whenever it rains.

You might also consider relaying the tiled floor (?of the porch?) so that water runs outwards.

Make the roof structure as a cantilever (ie trusses), and the posts will be largely decorative not structural

sorry bit lost here. Please could you elaborate woody. Do you mean a cross brace on the rafter resting on header plate.
thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No. You design the roof with trusses, and these are secured to the wall and cantilever off the wall.

No. You design the roof with trusses, and these are secured to the wall and cantilever off the wall.
sorry woody. Need to hold your hand here. A diagram would be good. i will buy you an e-beer.

full

Here is the principle, and with additional brackets at the top to prevent rotation at the bottom rail, and perhaps the bottom bearing on the ledger plate similar to at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back