Design roof of Pagoda/Porch lean-to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pagoda/Porch lean-to help

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a lean to pagoda/porch to mount solar panels on with a total panel weight of 100kg. Planning on mostly using 4x2 and 4x4 for the main structure but struggling with the roof pitch.

I was planning on using joist/rafter hangers bolted to a wall plate timber on the house wall with a pitch of around 30 degrees as ideal for solar panels. I don't know if I'm using the right search terms in google but cannot seem to find these rafter/joist hangers with a slope. I did find some that state adjustable but those were out of stock and very expensive.

I don't have to do the 30 degrees and anywhere between 25 to 45 would be ok but 30 is ideal.

Do any of you have a web link or at least the correct terminology for me to use to find these please as I don't think I have the DIY skill to do the notching thing?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Slope adjustable joist hanger.

The other option is to cut the wood at an angle and notch the joist end to fit a standard hanger.

Sponsored Links
You can just skew nail it to your ledger plate.
Thanks but I'm going to be using Stongtie's hangers on the backplate and have sourced them now.

I now just want to check I have the angle I need to cut the backplate end of the rafter/lath timber to make sure its all flush and will give me the correct slope which is 35 degrees if I cut the end at 55 of my 7ft rathers and then have a 4ft height diff to front posts which the rathers will sit on but with a small notch and again a diff strongtie to hold together.

Last edited:
Steve unfortunately the only ironmongery I would be buying if I were doing that project would be a kilo of 5" galvanised nails. Joist hangars for roofing jobs hasn't been something I have used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back