Porch with posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning on doing a lean to porch roof across the full width of the front of my house, 10m ish. Any tips on the structure, I want visible oak posts (presumably 6”) then planning on using c24 (5x2 ish or doubled up?) across the top which will be clad with upvc fascia bearing onto the posts.
Any idea on post spacing? The lean to rafter span will be about 1m tops.
What’s the normal approach for the posts, set ‘em into the ground like fence posts, or build brick/blockwork plinths?
Any tips or ideas from anyone who’s seen/done this before welcome!

Sponsored Links
Type in portico porches into google images and you will get a lot of ideas.

A university campus that I am familiar with has oak cloisters. You can see that over the years, the original oak posts rotted at the base. So I would build brick plinths and organise the tops to slope for drainage.
Don't make the plinths too small or it will look daft

Sponsored Links
Struggling to find any examples as mines more of a long run over a bay window and masonry porch, with posts to support the rest. It’s to replace one of those rubbish flat roof supported by metal poles 1960s jobbies.

The posts don’t have to be oak, and yeah I guess I could do more of it in oak.

Any thoughts on wall plate span? Was hoping at least a couple of metres clear span between supports if use a doubled up pair of 5x2s and horizontal ties back to the house wall
Is the brick plinth a pad foundation, then something like an 18”x18” few courses and the post concreted into the middle of it?
Cheers for the replies, just trying to get a vague plan

If you make mono-pitched trusses and fix these to plates top and bottom on the wall, the trusses will be relatively self supporting and a 7x2 timber can be fitted through the trusses to act as a sort of purlin and can span to around 3m or so IIRC

full

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back