Building a Workbench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Some decent regilarised softwood would make a strong bench

By regularised do you mean planned? They sell white wood or red wood, what’s the difference?

Regularised refers to studwork timber machined to an exact size. It is whitewood (spruce). Its cheap, but is a carcassing material so can be a bit rough. If you want use it, fibd a merchant that keeps stocks inside so it isnt soaking wet. Ive had some which is actually very good and more like pine.

You could go for pine, which is generally called joinery grade. Its a lot more expensive and you still need to find stock that is nice and straight. Pine is redwood, a different species to whitewood.

Sponsored Links
I made a 4m long workbenchb down one side of my workshop (really a shed!).

Topped it off with a kitchen worktop and it's come in very handy over the years.

as an aside
hows is your floor constructed as in material size and thickness and distance between supports ??

Mine Is 2x4 planed and uses two walls as part of the frame
3 legs are bolted to the walls, using a corner
The top is 2x layers of chipboard with a 2x1 frame edging and giving a slight lip
Mine is used mainly for mechanical stuff with a large vice in the outer corner, away from the walls

The lip stops stuff rolling off
I made a small trapdoor to allow the rubbish to be swept down a hole now and again
There is a sheet of aluminium on top of the bench that I can remove, or sometimes replace with an old bit of carpet for a softer top

https://burnleyhouse.wordpress.com/2016/10/26/a-new-workbench/
diy_workbench2.jpg

i assume on a solid base?
it was more to do with point loading at the legs
i would be tempted to cut a bit off 12mm ply about 35mm bigger all round to spread the load but may not be nessisary if the legs are within say 50mm off a timber underneath

Hi,

I have built a small workshop in my garden and have just fitted the floor. I now need to build a workbench.

I have found several ideas such as these:

https://wilkerdos.com/2014/01/diy-workbench/#prettyPhoto

That looks like the plan I'd use

Question is what type of wood should I use? I guess just planed softwood would be ok?

Local supplier is Travis Perkins who sell redwood or white wood.

Others have made good suggestions on where to obtain the materials.

What do you intend to do on the bench? For general purpose - a bit of everything then the plan posters suggestions are good. If it serious wood work then I'd go for using what is supplied as Sleepers nowadays. Plenty of mass (rather than weight) for when you are hammering or chopping out etc, and should be more stable.
If you then require a particularly level smooth surface for cetain tasks then a 'previously used' kitchen worktop can be laid over as needed - very useful if you build the bench with a center 'well'.

Some great advice on here. Now looking at how deep a bench should be. This will be up against the wall and I need to be able to reach to the back and also have enough room.

the height you set it at will dictate the comfortable reach
what are you planning to build on it or use it for ??
i build mainly furniture and my bench area is about 34 inches back to front 45 long and about 28" off the floor
often the back few inches will be under storage shelve further up the wall or general storage for say clamps or batons specifically put there to be at hand for job in hand but stored else where when not in use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back