Building alcove unit and plaster is not true/flush/level.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to build in a floor unit with some shelves above in the alcoves either side of my chimney stack. The problem is that the middle of the back wall in the alcoves is about 8mm deeper than the corners. I guess this is due to the corners holding more plaster than the centre.

I don't really have much depth to work with, so just boarding it up is not really an option. Does this mean I would have to take the plaster off and then board it up or is there anything else I might be able to do (that doesn't involve so much work/mess!)?

Sponsored Links
What kind of finish are you after? If you're going to paint it all just pack the gaps, fill and sand. I did my alcove shelving that way and it looks seamless.

I was going to keep the shelves and unit top as natural wood but the rest will be painted - what do you mean pack the gaps? Just plaster them until level? I guess a coat of pva and some ready mix plaster followed by a sand wouldn't be beyond me.

I was going to keep the shelves and unit top as natural wood but the rest will be painted - what do you mean pack the gaps? Just plaster them until level?

Wedge some some thin offcuts of wood/mdf in the gaps at the back of the shelves/tops then fill over with wood filler. That's if you were to paint it though.

If you want to leave the wood natural you could use a compass and pencil to transfer the curve of the wall to the shelves/tops. Basically, pop a pencil into a compass and open it up slightly. Hold the length of the pointy part against one end of the wall and then move the whole thing to the other end of the alcove, letting the pencil draw the curve across the top of the wood you want to cut to fit. It might take a bit of practice but it works. My explanation is probably rubbish so try searching for wood scribing techniques on t'internet.

Sponsored Links
I understand you (after a couple of reads) - That's a great way to get the curve in the shelves and a technique I will hang onto as I KNOW it will come in handy in this wonky old house.
However, I was going to stud out the units (three shelf unit on the bottom and cabinet at the top up to the ceiling). This seems like more work and more room for error over two alcoves.

The plaster does come off pretty easy. If I was to do this the 'right' way, no shortcuts, would it be to remove the plaster and then line the alcove with board (wood or plaster board or something else)?

Or perhaps I could remove some of the plaster from the corners and re-skim, I don't think re-skimming the middle would take well now that I think about it.

Fill anything that is to b painted and scribe in the natural wood top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back