Building Control App???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna do a loft conversion on my victorian end of terrace house. Planning Application has been approved. Now I have to get the building control application in. However, I need to detail out the specs and have reached the boundary of my skills.

This is what I have done. Can you let me know if what I have makes sense. Or which bits don't make sense.

Many thanks,
RichA

Loft Conversion

GENERAL
All dimensions to be checked on site. Drawing is produced for the purpose of local authority approval and does not include heating, electrics & decoration.

PITCHED ROOF
Raise existing ridge level by 500mm. Extend existing rafters to obtain internal height of 2300mm. Bolt new rafters to existing with minimum overlap of 1.0m and bolt at apex to new timbers with M12 bolts. To existing roof areas grey slates on 50mm x 25mm battens on roof felt on rafters. Provide roof insulation between rafters. Allow 50mm air gap over for ventilation.

ROOF VENTILATION
Min. 50mm air gap over insulation. Provide vents to eaves (front & rear) equal to 25mm continuous strip. To ridge provide either ventilating ridge tile or min. 4 venting roof tiles to each side of roof equal to 5mm continuous strip. Flat roof is a warm construction and needs no venting.

PARTY WALL
Raise party wall in second hand London stock bricks to match existing.

FLAT ROOF
12mm mineral chippings on three layers of roof felt on insulation on vapour barrier on 18mm WBP ply deck on firings on 150mm x 50mm SC3 joists @ 400mm o/c. Finish ceiling with 9.5mm plasterboard & skimcoat.

MANSARD / DORMER WINDOW
Grey slates to match main roof on battens on sarking felt on 18mm external grade plywood on 150mm x 50mm stud work frame @ 400mm o/c and 70% pitch. Voids between framing to be filled with celotex insulation. Vapour barrier attached to studs. Walls finished with 12.5mm plasterboard & skim.

INTERNAL STUDS
100mm x 50mm studs @ 400mm o/c with solid noggins @ 800 o/c. 100mm celotex insolation to be set between studs on external walls. Studs to be finished plasterboard & skim coat (12.5mm plasterboard around stairwell & 9.5mm elsewhere.

STEELS BEAMS
All new steel beams specified by to Structural Engineer (see separate Structural Engineer Drawings & Calculations).

FLOOR STEEL PROTECTION
Floor steels coated in intumescent paint to provide full half hour fire protection.

ROOF WINDOWS
Provide two Velux GGLM06 (780mm x 1180mm) windows to main room. Double joist trimmers bolted with M10 bolts. Trickle vent.

MEANS OF ESCAPE
Provide roof escape window Velux GPL M06 (780mm x 1180mm) to front roof, max. 1700mm from eaves level and min. 600mm from floor level. Rafters around window to be doubled up.

DAYLIGHT/VENTILATION
Windows to be double glazed. New rooms to be provided with background ventilation. Mechanical vent to new bathroom. Any windows below 800mm from floor level to be toughened glass to BS6206. No door glazing. New glazing to be in low E glass.

NEW STAIRCASE
14 treads @230mm, 15 risers @200mm (to be checked on site). Headroom to be min. 200mm above pitch line. Max gap between banisters to be 100mm. Handrail to be min. 900mm above pitch line.

FLOOR
Fitted with 18mm tongue & groove floor grade chipboard, waterproof in bathroom, on 175x50 joists @400mm o/c. Joists to be supported by main steel beam & interval load bearing walls. Noggins to support existing joists.

LOFT VOID
Eaves area void / storage space to be boarded as main floor.

DRAINAGE / WASTES
All traps 75mm deep seal. Bath waste 50mm round. Basin waste 32mm round. WC waste 100mm round to existing soil stack.

SURFACE WATER
100mm ½ round PVC guttering to 68mm round matching downpipes to discharge onto main roof and into existing s/w system

MECHANICAL EXTRACT
Provide mechanical extract to bathroom (minimum 85 m3/hour with overrun).

SMOKE DETECTION
Smoke detectors (linked mains with battery backup) to be provided on first & second floor (i.e. first floor kitchen – heat & smoke, second floor (loft) hall - smoke).

ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS
In accordance with current IEE regulations & codes of practice.

Sponsored Links
NEW STAIRCASE
14 treads @230mm, 15 risers @200mm (to be checked on site). Headroom to be min. 200mm above pitch line. Max gap between banisters to be 100mm. Handrail to be min. 900mm above pitch line.

200mm headroom might be a little tight, even for Hermes the best limbo dancer in the year 3000. You intend to raise the ridge by 500mm? are you increasing the roof pitch? or raising the wall plate level and reroofing?
What span have you got on your need floor joists?

Thks for your reply.

Er..yes...Probably mean 2000mm head room !!

Plan to increase the ridge height by 500mm, but keep the same pitch. So the ridge line will be further back. Then a 'flat roof' to the back.

New floor joists to run front to back. Length is approx 6m. supported by steel at front, load bearing internal wall in middle and external wall at rear.

Sponsored Links
;)
2000 is more like it...
Floor spans/sizes should be ok then, consideration should be made as to where existing roof joists are going? if your intension is to leave them as is and building new floor over then trimmers to stairwell should be to Struct Eng's details. If your messing with the existing roof joists then i would question overall roof stability, actually i would question that anyways with all the bolted connections. Unless youve given your Structural Eng a short brief he should be looking at overall structural stability, floor joist sizes, new roof sizes (and purlins maybe) and roof apex details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back