Building Control asking for walls to be insuated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating a 1900's property and as part of the clear out removed all plaster from the first floor (it was falling down in truth). As I am converting the loft BC on their first visit picked me up on this. They now suggest as all plaster has been removed I need to insulate.

The problem is that the rooms are already small and to insulate at 70mm + plasterboard, I am taking too much off each room.

The technical dept of a leading insulation compamy states that whilst they can suggest 70mm, any form of improvement would be ok. Thjey suggest 25-50mm.

I intend to insulate for my own benefit but was considering a standard roll insulation (used in lofts) as its much cheaper. I will batten out at 50mm and then insulate before plasterboarding on top.

Has any one had a similar experience? Can I do what I want without involving BC? I havent applied for building regs for the walls as they want £220 for the pleasure.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/externalwalls/

If you're hacking off plaster back to brickwork then unfortunately your BCO is right and the regs do apply. That said it is down to a little negotiation especially if you have smallish rooms. BC usually will accept a good gesture towards an improvement rather than a full upgrade. Unless you can prove you won't get a 15 year payback that is and then you wouldn't have to bother at all but that will cost too.

Been mentioned a few times on the forum so a few threads already on the subject though for eg
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1813360#1813360
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1595910#1595910

50mm rockwool will do little so doubt BC would accept it. They may accept say 45mm Celotx though. Bit of negotiation is needed.

Saying all that I don't think they can actually withhold a certificate for your loft so if you didn't do it they could mark your property down as being non-compliant for works to the walls (this would come up in a future seacrh BTW) but would never do anything apart from writing you a nasty letter.

Thanks Freddy, you know your stuff so one last question.

I will batten to 50mm and use a 45mm/50mm insulation board.

Would it be best to then staple a foil across all battens before applying a standard PB?

Cheers

Has any one had a similar experience? Can I do what I want without involving BC? I havent applied for building regs for the walls as they want £220 for the pleasure. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
What your BCO has said is true I’m afraid; change more than 24% of any thermal element (the plaster in this case) & you will have to upgrade to current standards. It’s easy to get caught out if your having other building work inspected & it’s usually the way you get found out; it’s happened before.

Now you’ve been found out & as much of an expensive pain it may seem, I would advise you follow correct procedure & get it passed by LABC. If you don’t LABC are likely to mark you down as having unauthorised/unapproved building works & this will probably cause you big problems when you come to sell up.

Sponsored Links
Has any one had a similar experience? Can I do what I want without involving BC? I havent applied for building regs for the walls as they want £220 for the pleasure. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
What your BCO has said is true I’m afraid; change more than 24% of any thermal element (the plaster in this case)

24% of a thermal element from what part of the house ?
24% of a "room" ? The whole house ?
What if "rooms" are not clearly delineated ?
Simon.

What your BCO has said is true I’m afraid; change more than 24% of any thermal element (the plaster in this case)

24% of a thermal element from what part of the house ?
24% of a "room" ? The whole house ?
What if "rooms" are not clearly delineated ?
Simon.

It’s relevant to all parts of the building which form a thermal element; could be external walls, windows & doors, the roof or even a new concrete floor; if not clearly delineated, seek guidance from you’re your local LABC (if you dare). What relevance are your questions to the OP?

I am renovating a 1900's property and as part of the clear out removed all plaster from the first floor (it was falling down in truth). As I am converting the loft BC on their first visit picked me up on this. They now suggest as all plaster has been removed I need to insulate.
I assume your house isn't listed or in a Conservation Area? If it is then you can play Conservation against Building Control. Currently Conservation's view gets preference in the decision making (although I think that may change in a year or two).

In doing my renovation (Grade II listed, in Conservation Area), the BCO acknowledged that he couldn't force me to do what he wanted when I did like for like repairs (like re-plastering with lime), but I think he could for changes (like adding loft insulation). I'm not sure if that might apply in your case if you re-plaster with lime (which is what I assume you have removed)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back