Building Control Dispute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Can anyone
please advise on the following.
I have just started converting my garage into an extra bedroom & utility room. My house is of a timber frame design and is semi - detached. My garage is next to my neighbours and is constructed in the following way
a) Half inch plasterboard fixed to 100mm x 50mm timber frame.
b) The timber frame is filled with 100mm rockwool
c) Sterling board has been fixed to the back of the frame covered with building paper
d)A 50mm air gap exists, then 100mm breeze block separates all of the house.
f) The exact same construction after the breeze block repeats its self on the neighbours side ie 50mm air gap 100mmX 50 mm frame rockwool etc.

The problem is that I am being told to fix extra sheet's of plasterboard to cover the wall before the council will grant me my building warrent. I feel this is unnecessary and will reduce the width of my room. Any views would be useful in my struggle to win.

Sponsored Links
I am being told to fix extra sheet's of plasterboard to cover the wall before the council will grant me my building warrent
Who is telling you this? If it's your local BCO, they're unlikely to shift. In matters of this sort, they are Judge, Jury and executioner. When it comes to party walls they can be absolute bar stewards. OTT is an understatement.

In their defence, you'll probably find that the extra layer of plaster board is for added Fire Protection. Now be fair, 12mm isn't an awfull lot to loose from the size of the room.

I have known a LOT worse. One extention that I built, I had to add 9" onto an existing cavity wall, then another cavity, and then a 4" inner skin. Since the existing neighbours extentions (extention was going across the full width) had the same construction this gave a total wall thickness of just under 3 ft, on both sides for a single storey extention! (That's not going to fall down in a hurry :)).

Bearing in mind the total frontage of these properties was only just over 10ft, this was a lot of space to loose. To add insult to injury, since this extention was to fit a bathroom (property didn't even have a toilet at the time), and was going onto the kitchen, an airlock had to be included (regs for this have changed now). This gave another 3ft of wasted width.

The whole job resulted in a very expensive 6ft x 4ft toilet with a shower tray. (no room for a bath). Since showers weren't as fashionable then, this also reflected very badly on the value of the property.

TexMex said:
In their defence, you'll probably find that the extra layer of plaster board is for added Fire Protection. Now be fair, 12mm isn't an awfull lot to loose from the size of the room.
Have to agreed, 2 plasterboards give you 1 hour protection and 1 plasterboard only give you 1/2 hr protection.

that can be the only reason they are asking for more plasterboard hey come on 12.5 mm if your that tight for space I wouldnt bother even starting the project.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your thought's on this matter. It's not the fact that I will be lossing 12mm in width that upsets me,(I CAN LIVE WITH THAT) its the fact my neighbour, 3 house's up the street(same build) has submitted the same drawings and for some reason ie could be the fact he has a different building control officer has had his conversion passed without adding additional plasterboard. Its the inconsistency that gets me annoyed. It either needs to be done or it doesn't. I am not looking at making savings on cost or labour time as I want the work completed correctly to the standards required but I still feel carrying out un neccessary work annoying. Does the 100mm rockwool not increase the fire containment time?

rockdg said:
ie could be the fact he has a different building control officer has had his conversion passed without adding additional plasterboard.
Sometime BCO do miss out some work on regs but it's not done on purpose, they are only human being! At least you know yours is being done correctly.

As it was a garage I am surprised it did not have a 1hr fire rating to the studwork in the first place.

The block work is to stop fire spreading in either direction.

The insulation does not protect the studwork.

Hi Ken

The construction between the garage and my house was fitted with 2 sheets of plaster board but only one on the wall joining my garage to my neighbours garage. I have posted this topic to find out what is the correct build for this type of conversion but it seems that it comes down to luck or in my case an over the top building officer. Surely this regulation should be rock solid and this now leaves me with the problem of informing my friend that his conversion 3 doors up is deemed unsafe. Thank for the fire tip, I was under the impression the rockwool added to the fire break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back