Building control fees for insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping to make some improvements to my single brick extension by having the roof and internal walls insulated, however, the fees have put me over my budget so I'm considering putting it off for a year or so until I can save the money I didn't budget for the building control fees!

So, my questions:

1. Are there government schemes that will help with these costs? I seem to recall seeing something years ago but can't find it now.
2. Is there a type of insulation that doesn't require inspection? Say, insulated wallboard instead of cavity wall? Or is the inspection required for any internal work?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you are going to do it correctly then why would you want someone to inspect it to tell you that it is correct?

Insulation is not a life-safety issue that you might otherwise want to be checked.

Thanks Woody,

I'm not sure I understand your reply. Did you mean, 'if you are going to do it correctly why wouldn't you want someone to inspect it?"

If so, the answer is, I'm hiring a builder who I'd like to think is a professional. But if there are less expensive options that will get me to the same place ( a warmer house for less money), I'm all for them. :)

Not really sure what you mean by insulation not being life threatening. Do you mean that it is and therfore definitely needs inspection?

Or are you saying I don't need to pay for the Inspection? My local authority and 2 of the 3 builders I've had quote say it's a legal requirement, but I have to admit, it seems crazy and counter productive.

Last edited:
The Building Regulations came about to ensure buildings were constructed and used safely.

Insulation is not going to affect your safety, and it only got added recently that homeowners were required to apply (and pay a fee for the privilege) for the council to come out and tell you that you have added enough insulation. Its part of saving the planet, not your safety.

So on that basis, you may want to just do your insulation and not apply to have it checked.

Even if you hire someone to do this work, the council wont be there to inspect the work, only that you have the required amount of insulation.

Any firm that you hire should be aware of the requirement to apply for building regulation permission when necessary. Its a good test of their professionalism - even if you do chose not to apply.

But the problem with adding insulation, is that if not specified and carried out properly, it can create dampness and mould issues. So you need to be sure that the builder knows what to do.

Installers can "self certify" this type of work - ie certify that the work conforms to the building regulations. Here is one such scheme, there are others - www.bbacerts.co.uk/installer-approval/competent-person-scheme-cps

Here for any possible grants www.greendealupgrade.co.uk/internal-wall-insulation-c-44.asp

Sponsored Links
Ah. OK.

Funnily, building control mention the competent person scheme for some electrical work, but never mentioned that there was one for insulation! I'll look into that.

Thank you!

I was under the impression that adding insulation did not in most cases need building regs approval.
But I'm in Scotland, so maybe this is something that's different.
For example here's one random Google result from Clackmananshire:
http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/document/2111.pdf

IMG_0071.jpg

Here in Cambridgeshire, "renovation of thermal elements" specifically need a building notice. Seems crazy to me. They say it's needed to "meet the energy saving targets set" by someone or other. They're not going to meet them if people decide doing the work is more trouble than its worth, imo.

One of the builders who came around was trying to talk me out of doing pretty much anything due to the need for inspection at every turn, including any work to walls, ceiling, windows or doors. I'm now wondering what sort of work he actually would do as there's not a lot left!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back