Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to start my build soon and am considering options for building control.

What are the pros/cons of using private v local authority building control?

How do you go about finding a (good) private approved inspector?

If I start with LABC and then decide to go private, are any fees refundable? i.e. if I want LABC to inspect up to foundations, an then I decide to go Private are my initial fees sunk?

Sponsored Links
Its a tricky one. I use mostly local council building control but there are a couple of councils where I work where the building control department is bloody useless so in those areas I now use a private inspector. Are you employing a builder? What is his preference? Some of the builders I work with are 100% council or 100% private so I respect their wishes.
Probably worth finding out what the fees are for council and private and going with the cheapest. If in doubt go private as there is more scope for negotiation and a more pragmatic approach from the inspector.

I seem to recall that once you submit an application you are tied to that inspection route, you cannot chop and change half way through.

They are not building inspectors, but just checkers of statutory compliance, so I can't see what difference it will make.

Just make sure that you don't use the one who has "inspected" a certain block of flats in London.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back