Private or local authority Building Control?

The Building Regulations (or 'regs') are very brief. The Approved Documents, on the other hand, suggest (in considerably more detail) ways in which compliance with 'the regs' can be achieved. But failure to comply with the Approved Documents does not necessarily equate with failure to comply with the regs. So 'building according to the regs' is a rather broad concept. And building according to the Approved Documents is very dull.

Sponsored Links
The Building Regulations (or 'regs') are very brief. The Approved Documents, on the other hand, suggest (in considerably more detail) ways in which compliance with 'the regs' can be achieved. But failure to comply with the Approved Documents does not necessarily equate with failure to comply with the regs. So 'building according to the regs' is a rather broad concept. And building according to the Approved Documents is very dull.
Yes it's just a matter of trying to get on with the inspector rather than pi***** him off I suppose. There are many ways of doing a job and providing it's safe you're OK to an extent. That's what I have found anyway. I think I will go with LABC again though.

Other people have mentioned the costs. I get a fee quote from both, whilst LABC usually have a fixed fee table I've found they are sometimes flexible, the private inspectors will quote on each job. Sometimes one can be cheaper by a couple of hundred pounds but it varies, sometimes LABC is cheaper, sometimes the other way round.

I also choose depending on area, a couple of Council's near me have dreadful Building Control departments, slow processing applications more than anything, and I avoid them like the plague, the rest are pretty good. On balance I think I prefer LABC.

Other people have mentioned the costs. I get a fee quote from both, whilst LABC usually have a fixed fee table I've found they are sometimes flexible, the private inspectors will quote on each job. Sometimes one can be cheaper by a couple of hundred pounds but it varies, sometimes LABC is cheaper, sometimes the other way round.

I also choose depending on area, a couple of Council's near me have dreadful Building Control departments, slow processing applications more than anything, and I avoid them like the plague, the rest are pretty good. On balance I think I prefer LABC.
I didn't realise they could be flexible with the costs. Problem is I am not classed as a protected species so maybe I will just be ignored. I don't know what I would say to get it down. Have you tried it?

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise they could be flexible with the costs. Problem is I am not classed as a protected species so maybe I will just be ignored. I don't know what I would say to get it down. Have you tried it?

I just email them a copy of the plan and ask for a full plans application fee quote. I've never haggled it's just sometimes they've come back with a figure lower than the one on their fee table. I've just assumed it is because my plans are so fantastic they know they are going to be easy to check. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back