Building control issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine is a bulding contractor who has just finished a loft converstion. during the build he installed a RSJ on the chimney in the loft with about 2 to 3 inches covering the internal chimney another words the cross sectional area of the inside of the chimney is smaller about 2 to 3inches.
When the RSJ was lifted on to the chimney the building inspector was called and stated everything is ok but you cannot install a solid fuel appliance on this chimney At the time the homeowner agreed that he will never require a solid fuell appliance so he is happy as it is. So the work was carried on and loft conversion was completed and decorated with about £1100 outstanding to pay to the contractor.
Now the the inspector has written to the homeowner to give a signed consent that you will not use solid fuel appliance on this chimney and he will not sign it off untill he does.
Now the Chimney has a gas apliance fitted passed flue flow and spillage check and certified by gas safe engineer then passed on to building control and accepted.

The homeowner is refusing to sign and pay the outstanding amount to the contractor saying that you have done a botch up job. The contracter has agreed to remove the RSJ and install a alternative method which will satisfy BC. The homeowner refuses this saying its all decorated and i dont want the disturbance.

Personally the only reason for this is that they dont want to pay the reaming money.

Please can anyone help with this because it has passed the flow test for a gas appliance and the RSJ is a noncombustable material. I know a solid fuel gives out more heat. I cant understand by the BC not sign it off

PLease any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
I konw that BC are also covering ther back but do we have a argument in regards to the chimney to not to use the solid fuel apliance?

I konw that BC are also covering ther back but do we have a argument in regards to the chimney to not to use the solid fuel apliance?

Well it was asking for trouble to put the ridge beam into the chimney. I've seen 2 beams used, one either side before.
But the contractor should have got the "no fire" thing signed by the homeowner as part of the original contract. That could have then been passed on to building control.

The RSJ may be "non combustible" but it should also be protected from fire !

Simon.

Sponsored Links
This was doomed from the start. The BCO was an idiot to allow it on the basis of a homeowner agreeing to not have a solid fuel appliance. What if they moved out? New owners might not be so agreeable. And what's to stop them just fitting one anyway - regardless of the agreement. Let's be honest - your contractor friend was also an idiot going along with it.

I'm afraid he's going to have to put this one down to an £1100 training course on what not to do with chimney flues. His only consolation is the homeowner will be in problems when he comes to sell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back