Building inspector issues with kitchen draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I've got a builder here doing a kitchen extension and I was hoping someone could help me understand an 'point of contention' that's occurred.

Despite going over it with him several times, our builder denies it was in his remit to worry about draining from the kitchen (sink/dishwasher) and so didn't have a feed for it to the existing chamber. So after I asked him about it, he suggested we lay 40mm pipe in the slab (not sure if at time of pouring or by chasing it in afterwards) and then run it out the side of the house and into a gully via an elbow joint. I agreed and so he added the gully to the chamber and had the building inspector around. But the building inspector has said you can't do that as 40mm pipe gets blocked (even though that's exactly what is there now and not an issue, plus you'd be able to access it easily from outside and clean it), and now we have to dig it all up again and have a new soil pipe running to the chamber from where the new sink will be, but we have to keep the gully as a rodding point, even though I assumed a manhole would be a rodding point in itself.

The builder has told me I can either foot the bill for the extra work or okay using the 40mm pipe and I'd still get building regs, but it means that I'd have to come back to the council on that particular part of the build. I'm not sure how true that is, and what that means if I ever had to sell the house.

I'm not a builder (semi-confident DIYer but that's it) so i'm caught between lingo and parties and would appreciate some helpful advice/thoughts. Many thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are length and gradient limits on different pipe sizes as well as limits on what can be connected. Google Approved Documents UK & you'll find them, there's various tables (NB what your builder is suggesting may work but won't be deemed to comply if its outside those tables). If BCO has given it thumbs down you're not going to get a completion cert unless you can prove to them that the 40mm is adequate.

How long a pipe run is it?
I’ve had shortish lengths of 40mm passed with the odd comment that it’s not ideal, which is true

So the builder’s asking you to pay for him to redo some of his work that wasn’t passed by the BcO... oh dear

Sponsored Links
How long is this 40mm pipe?
Lots of kitchen extensions have the sink under the window and the 40mm waste pipe straight out of the wall and into a gully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back