Building New Bathroom - Damp Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We will soon be completing on the purchase of a Victorian-built house. It’s in need of total renovation so we have the opportunity to do things right first time.

One area I’ve been thinking about is the bathroom. We will be stripping the wall back down to brick.

My question is what material(s) would you recommend in this environment to apply to the walls before any tiling is done? Assume there is no penetrating damp. Would simple plastering be OK?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Swwils

I’ve also read about HardieBacker tile backer boards. You or anyone else here used them? Are these things even necessary? Can you simply not use tabled plasterboard?

I ask these questions as if I know what I’m talking about.

They are cheap, but heavy and create mess.

KERDI-BOARD is not cheap, but it's light, clean and arguably quicker.

Do you not want to do any thermal renovation whilst the room is stripped?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Swwils

Sorry you’ll need to forgive my ignorance. What kind of thermal renovation do you mean? I’m intrigued and as mentioned originally I’d like to get things right now whilst I can.

If you're taking the walls back to brick then you must consider upgrading thermal performance of the walls. Technically the work would be notifiable to Building Control. If you can afford it/eligible for grants etc/house suitable then external wall insulation is the way to go (avoids all sorts of issues). Otherwise you need to look at internally insulating the wall- min 80mm of PIR or 160-odd mm of rockwool to achieve the renovation U value.
After that you can look at tile backing board- don't use plasterboard, if it gets wet it loses all its strength. There are all sorts of systems (cementitious boards like Hardiebacker, polystyrene based like Marmox), most of them the main cost is in the jointing tapes etc needed to seal the joins/edges.

Sorry to bump this up but any feedback on my previous post?

I used HardieBacker for my shower, then tanked. Would not want to use it for a whole bathroom.

Looks like KERDI-BOARD might be similar to Marmox?

Are the walls solid? If so, I'd suggest either Marmox/Kerdi with insulation, or maybe kingspan it, tape, then overboard with tile backer for better moisture control.
Although I guess you can just tape the Marmox/Kerdi boards befpre tiling to stop moisture penetrating between the gaps?

Re the link, I am not sure if battening with wood is the best option when there are good adhesives and mechanical fixings for the job. But handy if you are running pipes or electric cables behind it I guess.

Hi Djangobanjo

That link was really useful, going through it now. I see what you mean about the batten thing, right now I'm not sure whether would be running pipes or cables. I guess having a batten plus the boards you'd then attach on top is the loss of space. The one thing I though it might be useful for is when I want to screw something into the wall like a cabinet, seems like having a batten would make this even stronger. Just thinking aloud.

Yeah, hanging things on the wall would be easier. For my bathroom, the external wall is insulated so nothing hung on there, things go on the internal walls that are all solid.

But you can screw through the insulation into the bricks with long enough screws - I've done this for radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back