Building new doors for a sliding wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

I want to replace the sliding doors for a full length bedroom wardrobe. Over the years the existing doors have dropped and broken. The space is quite large 3.3m wide and 2.35m high and has 3 equal glass sliding doors of about 1.1m width . I intend to use cherry veneer MDF 8*4 sheets for the doors....and given the size of the openings the doors would almost be the size of each sheet. I know the proposed sliding doors mechanism at the top can take the weight of each MDF door (42kg approx) and has side brackets into the MDF at the top (as opposed to top fittings into the MDF which i know would not work). My question is whether the MDF is strong enough to suspend its own weight? Has anyone had a similar experience and what do other people generally use for sliding doors?

for anyone interested the mechanism I am looking at is the "Loft" system from Barrier Components. the reason I want MDF, is that it seems to be the only product that comes with the veneer? Any other suggestions welcome.....

thank you in advance for any help you can provide
bishbosh

Sponsored Links
It seems to have a specific kit for mdf doors, so I would assume mdf would not be an issue. Generally if you use a decent spec screw, of suitable gauage etc and pilot drill the holes you shouldn't have an issue in my eyes.

Thanks for the mention of that door gear supplier - they seem to have a good range and the external sliding/folding hardware is the cheapest I've found, so I may investigate further

I've always wondered if MDF keeps it's straightness when hung as doors like this?

Also would there be an issue with some dents and knocks to the closing edges being soft MDF? Perhaps some sort of timber lip required?

Sponsored Links
Sliding track usually take the weight on the floor track, a timber baton to rear would help avoid warping of mdf. Veneered block-board is also available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back