Building next to a single skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Our garage party wall is a typical 1950's strip foundation, not deep enough by modern standards and just a single skin on brick. I want to upgrade this wall so it can form part of our new extension. I therefore need to build a new load bearing second-skin on the inside.

I'm thinking that the best option is to dig up the concrete garage floor, and lay a new one to raft foundation standard. So the new wall is built on this raft. The internal wall will take the weight of the roof.

I cant find anything on the internet to support this idea, and wondered if anyone had any views on this please?

Sponsored Links
Regarding the existing foundations, is it possible in practice to remove them and then dig down further or is it somewhat tricky removing a foundation below ground level and might it potentially disturb the trench too much???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back