extending on top of single leaf/skin garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi to you all,im looking to extend above our single skin/leaf attached garage.
.how difficult is this?
average price i should expect?
my house is a typical 3 bed semi,and the garage is typical size
my garage is joined to my neighbours,so the option of knocking it down,isnt an option that i have unfortunatly.
i know its hard to give advice on something with out seeing it,but just wanted to know if building an inner wall,would be ok.
i understand that the existing garage walls foundations would have to be checked.
there are a few houses on my street that have had extensions and one that has had similar to the type that i want.
i would greatly appreciate any advice that anyone can give.
thanks

Sponsored Links
There are a few ways in achieving it. You can either build an internal block wall off the existing foundations, or off new foundations if the existing are not present/adequate. Then you just build on top like you would a normal two storey extension. The other way can be to span steel beams around the perimeter from pier to pier. This would create a ring beam type situation where the new walls above can be built off. This method would require new/underpinning at the pier locations by way of pad foundations. You could also look at constructing the upper floor in a timber frame to reduce the weight imposed on the structure below.

To have an idea of costings, you would need drawings prepared and for a contractor to quote. The steel frame/ring beam scenario would also require input from a structural engineer. The existing foundations and structure would also need to be exposed as this can have a serious impact on the quote of the works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back