Foundation for single leaf wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen dozens of foundation specifications for cavity walls, but none for a single skin non-cavity wall.

To save cost we're looking to build a garage from single skin breeze blocks with piers. It will need to comply with building regs because of the size.

The council has said that the foundation will probably need to be approx 1.2m deep but we won't know until we've applied and they visit the site.

How wide will the strip foundation need to be? For a cavity wall I've seen most specifications state over 400mm, but I can't find a spec for a single leaf foundation.

Between the strip foundation and the DPC can I build in single leaf concrete blocks or do I need something wider? I'm worried that a single leaf wall would not be stable enough if it's also single leaf below the DPC.

Sponsored Links
How wide will the strip foundation need to be?

That depends on the loading on your wall, and the bearing capacity of the ground.
But with ''average' conditions and loading, a strip 400 wide and 150 thick should be fine. Remember to widen the strip where any piers occur.

for a single skin non-cavity wall......How wide will the strip foundation need to be?
300mm.

Structural stability will depend largely upon design. There is no reason why a single skin building can not be structurally sound.

However it can be false economy.

There are many problems associated with single skin buildings in particular damp ingress. UK residents are spending thousands retrospectively upgrading these structures to combat such problems.

A lot depends upon how you intend using the building I guess.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back