Building on site with Certificate of Lawfulness for Caravan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone here have experience of getting planning permission to build a house on a site that currently has a certificate of lawful use for a residential caravan? Just wondering how likely it is that planning permission would be granted for such a site for the example below.

The caravan has been there and was lived in for several decades, is surrounded by numerous outbuildings, and has a certificate of lawfulness as part of a small business that was run on site. The person living there passed away and there has been no permanent resident for the last couple of years. Council tax has continued to be paid by the estate and now a relative of the deceased and his partner are planning to move in and run a similar business.

The caravan is fine for the young couple for now, but if children come along in a few years time, living in the caravan would be a struggle, so while I know every case is different and it will be impossible to give a definite answer, I wonder what their chances would be if they applied for planning permission once they had moved in. I am almost completely ignorant in this area, but have read that 10 years of continuous use can be a factor in such a case. Would the fact that there was a change of owner (the property would be purchased by the couple from the estate), and that the caravan had only been used on occasion over the last couple of years make it impossible to get permission until the new residents had lived there for a while (how long?), assuming of course, there would be a chance of being granted permission even then?

I appreciate any insight you can offer, I'd be happy to give more detail if required, and if anyone knows of any links that could be useful I'd be very grateful if you could share them. Having a rough time just trying to get my head round the basics at the moment!

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention it'd in a greenbelt area outside the local development area which obviously makes things a bit tricky.

However, after a bit more reading, it may be worth adding that the business is agricultural and requires permanent residency, and the plan would be to build a very environmentally friendly dwelling. Perhaps those are more significant points than the fact the caravan has been lived in for so many years?

Every application is judged on its own merits and conformity to the local planning policy. The presence on a LDC for a caravan won't be relevant or carry any weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back