building on wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm fitting an 8' x 8' oak beam above a fireplace and would like to carry on above with blocks, has anybody had any experience in building on oak, The oak beam has been outside for some time, but i suspect is not completely dry and will move, split and shrink once in position and subject to the heat from the wood burning stove. The question is do i need to bed the blocks on some form of flexible joint to accomadate for the movement.
thanks

Sponsored Links
IIRC, the Tudors had a lot of experience with building on oak. It seems OK to do

An 8" oak beam may shrink by about an inch as it dries. The blocks above may stay in place with just a gap between the beam and the blocks or they may crack in a stepped crack up all the joints.

To prevent this, either put a concrete lintel above the oak beam or put some expanded metal in the blockwork bed joints. Then when the oak shrinks, you will only need to repair the joint and plaster immediately above it

It might take three months or so before the oak stabilises to the room

They used to build in lime mortar, and this helped accommodate any movement.

Sponsored Links
depends on the size of the fireplace.. old oak will not move too much.. so put it in and enjoy.. what, if there is any movement, you will not notice..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back