Fixings for Oak Mantle above fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just bought an Oak sleeper to use as a mantle above my fireplace, its 1.2m in length, just under 4 inches deep, 8 inches high and weighs about 25kg? How would you suggest fixing this to a brick chimney that has recently been boarded and skimmed, although with the height my Mrs wants the mantle we could be going into the 6 inch lintel i just put in!

I am thinking about putting some M12 rodding with resin into the wall, then drilling corresponding holes into the back on the oak and sliding it onto the rodding probably 4 or 5 rods in total, does this sound strong enough?

My next question, i am going to be brick slipping the chimney breast, would you do this before of after installing the mantle? I know as the oak dries its going to shrink, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In that case yes, your rod idea will work.

I tend to make a hook on the wall using two offset timber pads, then (if the mantle in not hollow) recess the back of the mantle and then it just hooks on.

Consider cutting out your plasterboard and setting the beam into it, and then it won't look stuck on once it's made good.

In that case yes, your rod idea will work.

I tend to make a hook on the wall using two offset timber pads, then (if the mantle in not hollow) recess the back of the mantle and then it just hooks on.

Consider cutting out your plasterboard and setting the beam into it, and then it won't look stuck on once it's made good.

Thanks Woody, would 12mm rods be ok? Also what resin would you suggest?

I've just done the same 12mm s/steel thread bar with chemical fix , made a template with mdf , set bars with template , then removed and fitted mantle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 425
I've just done the same 12mm s/steel thread bar with chemical fix , made a template with mdf , set bars with template , then removed and fitted mantle

That looks really good! How many steel bars did you use? Also what chemical fix did you use?

Thanks

John

3 bars , the mantle was pre drilled , so just made a template, to be honest I fell lucky with the chemical fix as a friend loaned me some with a dust extractor ...all I can say it was a two part white and black that was grey when mixed ( was a two part application gun ) not just a standard sealant gun , the studs where rock solid within about 10mins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back