Building or temporary structure? You decide.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to put in for change of use on an old agricultural building into a residential dwelling. The question is am I going te get pulled up on the field shelter being a building or a temporariy structure? See attached pictures for details. Peoples ideas, thoughts and experiences very much appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Its pretty clear its not temporary, whether you'd get PP is another story and there's no information to be able to offer advice for that little gem.

I was going to go for general permitted development (part 3 class MB). Any one done this on a building such as? Be really interested to see how it worked, before and after results. Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm just doing a barn conversion now (well the Building Regs drawings) got planning a few months back, every one is different, your Local Authority will probably produce a publication demonstrating what they look for in a such a conversion, most Authority's do. In any case I would be talking to the planners in the first instance, pre-planning advice may prove worthwhile.

It isn't a field shelter. A FS is a temporary building because of its construction - it sits on skids of some kind, and at least in theory is capable of being dragged about to a different part of the field. Some local authorities do actually try and catch people with FS that don't move, because they tend to become permanent if static for too long and change into barns or stables.

If it has concrete walls standing on the ground, or any hardstanding, then it loses its FS status.

Both structures look like they would be classed as buildings but that's not the whole story.

I would speak to your Council's planning dept before spending too much money on putting together an application. If Class MB is an option in this location then be careful as planners are still getting to grips with these new rights and there are potential cop-outs for the Council (eg they can require prior approval as to whether the location or siting of the building "makes it otherwise impractical or undesirable" for the building to change from agricultural use to a dwelling).

Also, it looks like you will be raising the roof on the open-fronted barn higher than the existing roof there so that would conflict with MB.1.(g) and take you outside permitted development rights.

Be interested to hear how you get on.

andyplan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back