Garage build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to build a garage next to my house. If i go for a permanent structure it will need PP due to the design and width of the build - I m aware of this

My question is can I put up a sectional concrete garage without PP and/or BR issues

Size / height would not be an issue as would the support slab lay.

However it would sit with approx 5 ft of it being further forward than the main wall of the house

This will cause no problems to anyone but will it contravene any regs even though its a 'temporary' structure. It will have a power feed to it if this helps

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Everything is permanent in the planning world building regs world.

Sponsored Links
Why did you think a sectional concrete garage would be regarded as a temporary structure ?
If i go for a permanent structure it will need PP due to the design and width of the build - I m aware of this
- so you have answered your question.

Why did you think a sectional concrete garage would be regarded as a temporary structure ?
- so you have answered your question.

Basically because the structure is not fixed to the ground but know now that nothing is temporary. Phoned local planning office tody who wouldnt say what I require unless I paid. Then dvised to look

You stated in your original post that a permanent structure would require planning permission ,so you need to submit a planning application.
Can't understand why your local planning department wouldn't at least advise you free of charge on submitting the application and the relevant forms and application fee. Although they might have just said employ an architectural person to prepare the application for you if they were feeling unhelpful.

All my last post didnt post for some reason

I was told I could apply for a certificate (dont have the correct name to hand) for @£100 that would tell me whether i need PP but that they coud not tell my over the phone and for free.

My main aim was to build a garage but I know this would fall under PP due to the design etc so I thought of the sectional approach because i believed I could just build it and it would give a 'quick fix' to my storage problems and cheaper

I was also advised to look at the virtual house on planning portal - and this says under the correct circumstances PP and BR are not required for a garage build.

Interestingly I was also informed that if you build without PP / BR unless you are building something that draws attention to it, it normally only gets chased up if a neighbour complains about it OR you sell within 5 years and it comes up during conveyance. The councils do not have the manpower to actively look for builds and check for PP/BR. How true that is tho....???

I was told I could apply for a certificate (dont have the correct name to hand) for @£100 that would tell me whether i need PP but that they coud not tell my over the phone and for free.

My main aim was to build a garage but I know this would fall under PP due to the design etc
If you know it requires planning permission as you say , there is no point paying a fee for a householder enquiry to the planning authority just for them to tell you it needs planning permission :!:
Building Regulations are a different matter of course depending on whether the garage is attached to the house or the size/area of the building if it is a detached garage. Your sectional concrete garage will presumably be detached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back