Building 2 detached garages on one plot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since your not allowed to build one garage larger than 30sqm, am I allowed to build one structure with a floor space of 60sqm and then split it with a wall internally and then fit two sets of shutter doors to the outside giving me two 30sqm garages without planning permission?

Or would the garages need to be actually detached from eachother not to need PP?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hello there, I live in herefordshire and the 30sqm you talk about here is only for needing building regulations. We have spoken to our local planning department about outbuildings and we can build any sized building without planning aslong as all outbuildings dont cover more than half of our garden-ours is 1 acre so we are building a huge garage/workshop/come barn. We live in a very rural area. The building must not be more than 4m with a pitched roof-3m with a flat roof and must be more than 5m from the origional house. We have no restrictions to how close it is to our land boundry or country lane.

Thanks for the reply, I called my local planning office today and they were not much help over the phone so I have arranged to meet with them and discuss my options.

I would really like to build one larger garage come workshop measuring about 50sqm but as you say it would then need to comply with the building regulations.

Sponsored Links
Hello there, I live in herefordshire and the 30sqm you talk about here is only for needing building regulations. We have spoken to our local planning department about outbuildings and we can build any sized building without planning aslong as all outbuildings dont cover more than half of our garden-ours is 1 acre so we are building a huge garage/workshop/come barn. We live in a very rural area. The building must not be more than 4m with a pitched roof-3m with a flat roof and must be more than 5m from the origional house. We have no restrictions to how close it is to our land boundry or country lane.

Are you sure the 1 acre 'garden' is actually garden. It is usually the case on large rural plots that the garden is a designated area within the overall curtilage. This is specifically designed to prevent people building large buildings in the countryside. If you are not absolutely certain you should check it out as the situation you describe is quite unusual and you don't want to find yourself having to knock anything down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back