Building over a sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just brought a mid terrace house, and plan to have a single story extension for my kitchen. Having visited the property yesterday i have noticed that we have the main sewer in our rear garden and this is where we wanted to build our kitchen. I believe that it is connected to the properties either side of ours. Is there anyway you can move this? We would be looking at moving it a further 10ft away from the property. Or does anyone have any suggestions ?

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
OUCH!

Moving a public sewer rather than a private drain is both difficult and costly. Firstly if it is a public sewer you cannot move it without consulting the Local Authority and/or Water Authority who own/run teh sewer system. The amount of fall in the pipe if it runs in a straight line may stop any changes anyway as it may run too flat.

Try and span over the sewer if the local authority will allow as this is much easier. all the foundations must be taken down to below the bottom of the sewer each side and leave a gap each side of the pipe. A lintel over clear of the pipe barrel will stop teh pipe being cracked.

I would ask for public sewer records to ascertain if the pipe is a sewer rather than a private drain as the latter is less of a problem.

Sponsored Links
If it's a public sewer, it belongs to your local water company and you have to obtain permission from them to build over the pipe. Normally a detail of the proposals will be enough for them to give the ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back