Building over drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a single storey 4m extension out the back of my house. Unfortunately, a drain runs parallel with the back of the house, and I have to build over it.

House was built 1900. I read Thames water guide and I suspected it was a Section 24 sewer, however it only seems to be serving my house and there are no drain runs off to any of the neighbours properties. What I believed I read was that a Section 24 sewer served multiple properties.

Before you ask... I have emailed Thames water, awaiting response and I've tried calling them but it's engaged constantly without a waiting system, so I can't get through! I don't want to throw away £350 for permission to build over a public sewer if it's not public.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice about this, I will persist with contacting Thames water, but just fancied a heads up....

Sponsored Links
If you are sure it only serves your property then a build over is not required. No need to mess around speaking with your supplier.

Best thing is to document ask if your findings. Plot where the manholes are on your land, and around it if possible, and the routes puppies are taking.

Make your building control application.

If thames water and you a letter saying they think you need a build over agreement (and is ever more likely they will send this, irrespective of if you need one or not) then you will be able to provide your evidence to show them that their records are wholly inaccurate and out of date.

Sponsored Links
Best thing is to document ask if your findings.
What does that mean?

Plot where the manholes are on your land, and around it if possible, and the routes puppies are taking.
What puppies? The OP has said nothing about them.

If thames water and you a letter
If Thames Water and him what a letter?

and is ever more likely they will send this
With each passing year?

irrespective of if you need one or not
And irrespective of whether he tells them about the build?

Thames water have already responded:

Our sewer records do not show any sewers plotted at this address.

In order for us to confirm if you require a build over agreement for the proposed works you will need to send in the following plans:

· An existing site layout with all sewers and manholes plotted

· A proposed site layout showing all sewers and manholes plotted in relation to the proposed extension

· Please indicate the direction of flow of the sewers and show all connections in and out of the manholes. Please confirm on the plans where the sewers are going from and to so that we can establish if the sewers are shared with any neighbours or serve the one property

Once we have received the above plans we will be able to provide confirmation if an agreement is required or not.

Lol...
Turns out my auto correct feature hates me. Serves me right for posting from my mobile!

As I was trying to say, Thames water sent a letter asking for info. They basically keep tabs on all building control apps, and nowadays seem to send these letters to all. . So document the manholes and pipe routes. (ignore the puppies). Make sure you note the direction of flow too.

You can then send this info to thames water.

It's really cheeky really, basically instead of them sending out surveyors to keep track of their sewers, they get other people to give them information for free...

Lol...
Turns out my auto correct feature hates me. Serves me right for posting from my mobile!

As I was trying to say, Thames water sent a letter asking for info. They basically keep tabs on all building control apps, and nowadays seem to send these letters to all. . So document the manholes and pipe routes. (ignore the puppies). Make sure you note the direction of flow too.

You can then send this info to thames water.

It's really cheeky really, basically instead of them sending out surveyors to keep track of their sewers, they get other people to give them information for free...
Why bother with any of that. If the drain is private it has nothing to do with them! They can only have a legal interest if the drain is shared.

Because it's often easier.

I've not had it happen myself, but in theory Thames water can put an injunction on the work. You'll be forced to provide the information to prove that you don't need a build over agreement and lift it.

Why bother with the risk of delays and resulting costs when you can just give them the info now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back